If you are a Sky Q customer, then you have probably had to reset your box before. There are many complaints online about Sky Q boxes freezing, overheating, and having connection problems. However, there are also many people who do not know how to reset their Sky Q box properly. So in this guide, we will go over the different ways that you can reset your Sky Q box.
How To Reset Your Sky Q Box
As mentioned, there are different ways to reset your Sky Q box. We will go over the most common ways that people use to reset their boxes.
First way: unplugging your Sky Q box and plugging it back in
This is the most common way to reset a Sky Q box and it’s recommended by Sky:
- Unplug the Sky box from the mains.
- Turn the power off on all other devices connected to the Sky box (including your router).
- All the lights should be off at this point.
- Leave off for a few minutes.
- Plug into the mains and turn on all other devices connected to the Sky box.
- If this reboot was successful, a green light will appear on your Sky box and the welcome screen message will be displayed.
- If this hasn’t solved the issue, try updating the software on your Sky Q box.
Second way: Press reset button
The reset button is the second method to reset your Sky Q box.
Where is the reset button? It depends on your Sky Q box model. But usually it can be found on the back of your box and labelled “Reset” so it is easy to find.
Press and hold the reset button for about ten seconds.
Release the button and wait for your Sky Q box to restart.
If this reboot was successful, a green light will appear on your Sky box and the welcome screen message will be displayed.
Resetting your Sky Q box With Remote
When we’re looking at resetting your Sky Q box, there are three options to take note of;
- Soft reset with Sky Q remote
- Resetting the hard drive
- Resetting to factory default settings
Performing a soft reset
Performing a soft reset of your Sky Q box is less intrusive than the other reset options on our list. Here’s how to do it;
- Hold down the Standby button on your Sky Q remote.
- Turn off your Sky Q box and remove the plug from the mains.
- Leave your Sky Q box for 3-5 minutes before plugging it back into the mains.
- Use the mains switch to turn on your Sky Q box.
- Wait for the instructions to appear on the screen and then press the Home button on your remote.
- Make sure you don’t press anything else. This can confuse your Sky Q box and take it longer to reboot properly.
Performing a hard drive reset
You may still have errors appear on your screen, even if you’ve performed a soft reset a couple of times. It’s worth pointing out that resetting your hard drive can lead to a loss of files including the saved content you have recorded. In this instance, you may need to perform a hard drive reset. Here’s how to do it;
- Press the Home button on your Sky Q remote.
- Go to Settings.
- To go into the rest options, press “0” on your remote followed by another “0” and then finally “1”.
- From here you should see the reset menu. Select Reset and then go to Reset hard drive.
- Press Select to proceed.
- Once you see a selection of instructions come up on your screen, wait for them to finalise before pressing the Standby button on the front of your Sky Q box.
Watch the following video which explains this steps in detail:
Performing Sky Q box factory reset
In the worst-case scenario, you might still see an error message on your screen. In this instance, you’ll need to perform a factory reset to bring your Sky Q box back to its basic settings. This action will delete all of your saved recordings and remove any preferred settings you have set up. The hope is that the factory reset will return your Sky Q box back to how it was when you first bought it.
Here’s how to do it;
- Hold the Home button on your Sky Q remote.
- Navigate to Settings in the menu.
- To go into the reset options, press “0” on your remote followed by another “0” and then finally “1”.
- From here you should see the reset menu. Select Reset and then go to Factory Reset.
- Press Select to proceed.
- Once the reboot starts, wait until it has finished and then press standby on the front of your Sky Q box.
- Once you reboot your Sky Q box you can go into your settings again and make sure everything is how you want it.
Your Sky Q box should now be back to its basic settings and any errors should also be resolved.
The above steps should help you to resolve your Sky Q errors, but in the event they don’t, you may need to consult a Sky engineer for further assistance and troubleshooting. Most of the time you can resolve your Sky Q errors over the phone. Sky is very good at walking you through the troubleshooting process before they need to dispatch an engineer.