Sky Q is undoubtedly one of the best cable TV options available. Unlike traditional Sky, you can use Sky Q in different rooms and each room can have a different show playing. Not only that, Sky Q has fantastic 4K streaming options and Netflix built-in. As well as this, Sky Q’s remote is a lot more condensed than standard Sky’s so it’s a lot more sleek and modern and easier to use.
However, Sky Q is not without its problems. Sky Q can still be affected by the same issues that standard Sky faces like overheating, freezing, and connection problems. In these kinds of instances, you’ll need to reset your Sky Q box. Resetting your Sky Q box will normally fix these main problems and so in this guide, we’ll go over how to rest your Sky Q in a variety of different ways so you can get back to watching your favorite shows.
Perform some prior checks
Before you look to reset your Sky Q box take a look at your remote and check that the batteries are still in good working condition. Sometimes you may think your Sky Q has frozen but your batteries may have just expired. Another important check to perform is to see if you have adequate ventilation around your Sky Q box, especially around the back of it. If you keep your Sky Q box in an enclosed cabinet, there’s a chance it can get overheated and stop working. In this instance, you’ll need to remove it from your cabinet and leave it to cool down before you turn it back on.
Resetting your Sky Q box
When we’re looking at resetting your Sky Q box, there are three options to take note of;
- Soft reset with Sky Q remote
- Resetting the hard drive
- Resetting to factory default settings
Performing a soft reset
Performing a soft reset of your Sky Q box is less intrusive than the other reset options on our list. Here’s how to do it;
- Hold down the Standby button on your Sky Q remote.
- Turn off your Sky Q box and remove the plug from the mains.
- Leave your Sky Q box for 3-5 minutes before plugging it back into the mains.
- Use the mains switch to turn on your Sky Q box.
- Wait for the instructions to appear on the screen and then press the Home button on your remote.
- Make sure you don’t press anything else. This can confuse your Sky Q box and take it longer to reboot properly.
Performing a hard drive reset
You may still have errors appear on your screen, even if you’ve performed a soft reset a couple of times. It’s worth pointing out that resetting your hard drive can lead to a loss of files including the saved content you have recorded. In this instance, you may need to perform a hard drive reset. Here’s how to do it;
- Press the Home button on your Sky Q remote.
- Go to Settings.
- To go into the rest options, press “0” on your remote followed by another “0” and then finally “1”.
- From here you should see the reset menu. Select Reset and then go to Reset hard drive.
- Press Select to proceed.
- Once you see a selection of instructions come up on your screen, wait for them to finalise before pressing the Standby button on the front of your Sky Q box.
Performing Sky Q box factory reset
In the worst-case scenario, you might still see an error message on your screen. In this instance, you’ll need to perform a factory reset to bring your Sky Q box back to its basic settings. This action will delete all of your saved recordings and remove any preferred settings you have set up. The hope is that the factory reset will return your Sky Q box back to how it was when you first bought it.
Here’s how to do it;
- Hold the Home button on your Sky Q remote.
- Navigate to Settings in the menu.
- To go into the reset options, press “0” on your remote followed by another “0” and then finally “1”.
- From here you should see the reset menu. Select Reset and then go to Factory Reset.
- Press Select to proceed.
- Once the reboot starts, wait until it has finished and then press standby on the front of your Sky Q box.
- Once you reboot your Sky Q box you can go into your settings again and make sure everything is how you want it.
Your Sky Q box should now be back to its basic settings and any errors should also be resolved.
The above steps should help you to resolve your Sky Q errors, but in the event they don’t, you may need to consult a Sky engineer for further assistance and troubleshooting. Most of the time you can resolve your Sky Q errors over the phone. Sky is very good at walking you through the troubleshooting process before they need to dispatch an engineer.