Can You Download The Sky Go App To Fire TV Stick?
As per the terms of Sky, you are not permitted to download the Sky Go app onto your Fire Stick. However, there is still a means of watching Sky Go on your TV. This is by means of screen mirroring. This does not need a Fire Stick. Therefore, this method of watching Sky Go is not permitted by Sky. Screen mirroring will be discussed in further detail with ‘how to’ instructions for each device.
What Is So Important About Mirroring?
Mirroring is a great tool to use in your home. Bored of watching series and movies on your phone? Tired of not being able to see everything clearly from your phone screen? Well, look no further because this is the article for you. Mirroring what you’re watching on your mobile phone or tablet onto your TV can look pretty intimidating and tricky. However, with the help of this article, you will look like a tech genius to all your friends and family. Don’t worry, we won’t tell them you used our easy guide to do it. Follow us as we break down these simple steps to get you casting your series from your laptop, tablet, mobile IOS or Android device.
Why Is Mirroring the Better Option?
Rather than spending extra money on confusing cables, mirroring gives you the freedom of simply hooking up your device wirelessly. It’s convenient, reliable, and available to anyone who knows how to use it.
How To Mirror To Your TV From:
The laptop connects to the TV using a feature called Direct WIFI, or Miracast. This means that you would essentially need a smart TV that supports screen mirroring using WIFI Direct. With this, your laptop would need to support wireless screen mirroring as well. Laptops that are more recent should ultimately support this feature. Both devices can then directly connect to one another using WIFI Direct.
- Use the TV remote and select the source to Screen Mirroring.
- Go to ‘Settings’ on your laptop.
- Go to ‘Connected Devices’ on your laptop and click on ‘Add Device’. The drop-down menu will list all the devices that you can mirror.
- Select your TV and then your laptop screen will begin mirroring on the TV. With this, your TV name will get saved to the connected devices list, making it easier for your laptop to your TV in the future.
Mobile/Tablet IOS or Mac to an Apple TV:
Before doing anything, make sure both your Apple device and Apple TV are connected to the same WIFI network.
- Scroll either up or down, depending on the model of your iPhone or iPad, to access the Control Centre.
- Select the Screen Mirroring button.
- Select your TV.
- If asked, enter the password displayed on the TV.
- When the connection is made between the two, a checkmark will appear next to your TV’s name.
However, there is a different process to be followed when connecting a Mac to your Apple TV. This is as follows:
- Click the AirPlay icon in the menu bar on your Mac. This should be located next to the time on the top-right hand corner.
- Select your TV.
- Your screen will flash with a list of options showing up in the AirPlay menu. There will be a checkmark next to ‘Mirror Built-in display’.
If for some reason you can’t find the AirPlay icon, open System Preferences> Display and look for the box next to ‘Show mirroring options in the menu bar when available’ at the bottom of the window.
Everything you do on your Mac will be reflected on to the TV if AirPlay mirroring is turned on. If you wish to end screen mirroring, click the AirPlay icon in the menu bar and click Stop AirPlay.
Mobile/Tablet IOS or Mac to TV With AirPlay 2 Support:
Some smart TVs have AirPlay 2 standard built into it. Apple does have a complete list of all smart TVs with AirPlay 2 support. Roughly, many models from LG, Samsung, Sony, and Vizio from 2018 will work. In order for screen mirroring to take place, IOS devices will need to be running IOS 12.3 or newer, or a Mac running macOS Mojave 10.14.5 or later. If you have a smart TV with AirPlay 2 built-in and an up-to-date Apple device, simply follow the steps mentioned above.
Mobile/Tablet Android to TV:
- Go to Settings on your Firestick.
- Select Display and Sounds.
- Scroll down until you find Enable Display Mirroring and click it. The screen will then give a notification that guests can now pair to the TV. If you wish to exit the screen, you can do so by clicking any button on the Firestick remote.
- Go to the Settings application on your Android.
- Scroll down and until you find Screen Sharing. Once you find it, select it. Whatever you do on your phone or tablet will now be mirrored onto your TV.
Using an HDMI Cable to Mirror Your Laptop to Your TV:
One great feature of using an HDMI cable to mirror your laptop is that it has the ability to transport bandwidth of data, like video and audio, using a single cable. The drawback of using an HDMI is that sometimes authentication delays can cause black screens, as well as the cable itself, which is not relatively cheap. However, this has already been discussed in more detail in one of our older articles. If you have any more questions revolving on this subject, please go to that previous article.
Using an MHL Cable to Mirror Your Android Device to Your TV:
MHL connectivity offers a zero latency, which allows for a lag-free display of your device. However, the design is relatively outdated. This topic has also been discussed in a previous article. If you have any more questions, please revert back to that article.
Using Chromecast to Mirror Devices to Your TV:
The design is simple to use. Just plug it in and set it up. It is also very portable. It frees up your device whilst streaming. This means that multiple devices can control Chromecast. In saying that, a drawback of using a Chromecast is that there is a restriction on the number of apps and channels allowed to be used. Again, this topic has been covered before in a previous top and therefore, should be reverted back to if you have any future questions.