Recording live TV is one of the best ways to watch your favorite shows if you are too busy to watch them when broadcasted. The recommended way to record a live TV show is to use a screen recorder or a DVR, but what if you do not have any of them? So the question that arises here is how to record your shows.
Fortunately, you can record TV shows in many ways without using a DVR or a screen recorder. The section below will show you how to record a TV show without a DVR.
Method 1: USB Stick
Most TVs now support an external USB stick, allowing you to play content from your drive on your TV. In this case, you can use a USB stick to record your favorite TV shows and watch them later on your Windows PC or Mac. Here is how to do it.
- Connect your USB stick to your TV.
- Check if your TV’s PVR function works properly.
- Now, start recording your live TV shows.
Note that this method only works if your TV supports the PVR function.
In short, a USB stick is one of the best ways to record a live show without needing a DVR or a screen recording device. It’s a fast and easy-to-use process. However, it has limitations, including that you cannot record a long-lasting TV show or capture high-res content.
Method 2: Windows Media Player
Windows Media Player was first introduced as part of Windows XP. It can play slideshows, videos, music from your local hard drives, and optical drives. You can even use it to record your favorite TV shows.
Microsoft removed Windows Media Player from Windows 10, and there is no way to get it back. So, make sure your PC is running Windows 8 or earlier. Otherwise, this method won’t work. There are alternatives to Windows Media Player on Windows 10, but we are unsure if they work.
- Open Windows Media Player on your PC and choose TV from its main user interface.
- Click Guide, and you should see your TV menu with three options: TV names, categories, and times.
- Select the TV show you wish to record, then click Enter.
- Select Record to start the recording. To stop your recording, hit the Do Not Record button.
- To save your TV show, choose Record Series.
In short, Windows Media Player is a great option for recording your TV shows. However, the process might not be straightforward to some folks.
Method 3: MediaPortal
MediaPortal is open-source software that turns your PC into a media hub. It also lets you record your live TV shows. Here is how to do it.
- Download MediaPortal on your PC and then select TV from the main menu.
- Hit the Record button to start recording your TV show. You can record and watch the show at the same time.
- You can also set up the tool to automatically start recording when your favorite TV show broadcasts.
Method 4: Third-Party Tools
There are many third-party tools for recording a TV show without a PVR. You can use apps like TweakShot, Movavi Screen Recorder, or EaseUS RecExperts. Most are free, with options to upgrade to the Pro version.
We will show you how to record a TV show using TweakShot. We have been using this tool for a few months, so we are confident in recommending it to you.
- Download TweakShot for free on your PC and install it.
- Launch TweakShot on your computer.
- Right-click the Big Eye icon from the main menu and select Capture Video from the pull-down menu.
- On the TweakShot Capture window, customize your video’s frame rate and quality.
- Ensure the box next to the Record Audio is checked.
- Play the video or TV show you wish to record and click the red Record button.
- Click the Stop button to stop the recording.